Saturday, September 5, 2009

Feeling crafty??

These are a few of the necklaces we made at the family reunion. I've had a few people ask for instructions, so thought I'd pass the info on.
I love the big washer necklaces. I have quite a few that I wear with my everday clothes to dress them up a bit. Jaycee did both sides of her washer with different paper so she could get double use out of them. We used the same technique on the dog tags. Here's the link to the site that has a little video on how to make them.
They used Diamond Glass, but I couldn't find it at our craft store. We used Glossy Accents (from Roberts) and it worked great!

Here's the link that tells you how to engrave washers. My tip is to rotate the bits with the letters on a little bit as you hammer them to get all of the letters. We tried all sizes of washer from Home Depot. Does anyone know where you can buy bronze washers?
She has a link to ArmyNavy. com where I got the dog tags and chains. I bought 100 dog tags which made them about 25 cents each. They do sell in lots of 10 too. Use a fine tip black Sharpie for filling in the letters, then you don't have to wipe off the excess ink. I put a couple of Kleenez tissues under the dog tags when we engraved them so they didn't bend so much. If anyone comes up with a better method, I'd love to hear about it.
My sister, Kathy did one with her kids names on it and she wears it to work on casual day. I think they would good presents, something kids can make for friends, etc. Here's a couple more good sites:
It was a bit hit at the reunion -- all ages were doing them. I want to make some more -- so if my sisters read this, let's get together one Saturday and create!
If you have any questions, let me know!

3 comments:

Nedra said...

That is a great tutorial. I can see all kinds of groups loving these as an activity. I'm thinking YW, girls camp or Enrichment, etc. Thanks!

Alex said...

I've passed this idea on to Megan's friend Natalie. She was just called as a counselor in the stake YW. Natalie is a pretty cool lady. She says thanks for the idea.
Actually this isn't Alex, but his mom. He hadn't signed out yet and I'm too lazy to do it for him.

Micki said...

What a great tutorial and what fun to make!
Micki