Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pieces From The Past

Since I don't have any new quilting projects, thought I share my favorite antique quilt.  This quilt is hand pieced and hand quilted.  About 14 years ago we went to Arkansas to visit Gary's family.  We loved to check out all the antique stores back there.  We went in one little, cluttered store and I found this quilt.  I remember holding my breath and turning over the price tag, afraid that it would be way out of my price range. Whew....the price was good.  Next I unfolded it for inspection and couldn't believe the quality.  It's truly one of my prized possessions now.
I don't know anything about who made the quilt, except that she was an excellent seamstress.  I wonder what she thought about as she cut and pieced it together.  Did she use scraps from clothing she had made for her family?  Was it used on a bed or hung up for decoration?
 
The edge is scalloped and the blue binding is perfect.  I want to make a scalloped edge on a quilt someday.  I'm sure mine won't look this good.  The background and back look like muslin.  The batting is cotton, much like what we use today.  The stitches are so evenly placed.  I wonder how many hours of work went into this quilt?  
 Gary started his first real day of work with the patients.  He had training all last week and finished it on Monday.  He works the afternoon/evening shift.  It's different not having him home in the evenings.  This morning before he went to work he got dinner ready to go into the oven.  Mmmm....chicken enchilada casserole.  He's such a good guy to spoil me this way....or maybe the kids begged him to save them from my cooking!

2 comments:

Lavada said...

That is a beautiful quilt. What a find. Either send Gary over or send the recipe.

Micki said...

What a gorgeous quilt!
Micki