Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Here we go again.....Cute Chicks!!

 We got a new flock of chicks last weekend.  We have 4 Ameraucan (Easter Egg) chicks who will lay green eggs.  Then 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Barred Rock chicks, and 2 Golden Comets  who will all lay brown eggs.  I can't believe we are adding 10 chicks to our 7.  It will be a couple of months before these chicks can be outside.  I'm so used to counting to 7 when I feed them, so counting to 17 will be a challenge as they move around. We have a big fenced backyard for them to run around in since we are on a half acre lot.  It's always been my dream to put grass in the back half....but we've had horses and now chickens.  I guess it's better this way.  Big garden and chickens.  It feels good to be a little self-reliant.  Just hope the day never comes that I have to kill, pluck, and eat one of the chickens.  I'm not that into self-reliance!!
  We let the grandkids name a chick.  Jaycee is the one keeping track of the names.  It's too much for this old lady brain of mine.  I did name one chick.  One of the golden chicks is Ramona after my best friend when I was younger.  Of course we joked about naming them scrambled, over easy, hard boiled, or Benedict.
I have to confess that it took me a few weeks to eat one of our eggs when the first batch started laying a couple of years ago.  Now I can't stand the taste of store bought eggs.  It's like the difference in a tomato from your garden or a tasteless tomato from the store.  Our chickens molted during the winter and we went down to 1 egg a day and had to buy eggs.  Thank goodness we are back up to 6-7 eggs again.

1 comment:

Lavada said...

What a great Cake! I know just how much work can go into a fondant cake. I've watched Megan decorate cakes. She makes her own marshmellow fondant. She says it tastes better. It is usually a two day affair and you did it in one!