Monday, March 21, 2011

Peek-A-Boo Block

 I'm sure there's another name for this block, but I call it the Peek-A-Boo block.  For this one I cut 4-1/2 squares of the background and the main blocks.  I used scraps from my scrap bag.  I'm also making one with 6" blocks from a bundle of fat quarters.  I'll post more on that one later this week.  You draw diagonal lines from corner to corner with a pencil.
 Or you can iron creases from corner to corner if you prefer.  I like the lines better.
 Cut about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in each direction in the center of the block.
 I prefer to use a rotary cutter.  It goes much faster...but either way is good.
 You should have a little peek-a-boo hole like this.
 Then put the two pieces together with right sides together.
 Sew all the way around the block 1/4 inch from the edge.  TIP:  when you get to the drawn line you know to leave the needle down and turn your block.
 Then use your scissors to carefully cut the rest of the way on all four lines to the corners.  

 Press with your iron.  
 Sew together in rows.  I clip the dog ears from the seams after they are sewn.
Another option is to switch your colored blocks with the solid white or cream blocks.  I love the look of this one with the different colors in the corners.  It would be a great signature quilt too.

You can make them any size.  I just decided how my rows length and width I wanted to do and cut equal amounts of block from my main fabric and my corner fabrics.  It's such a good way to use up scraps.  I'm going to try one with 3 inch blocks next to use up some of my smaller scraps.  I think it would be fun to try one with a black fabric instead of white for the corner fabric.  So many possibilities!!

2 comments:

Myra said...

I've never seen this method before! Thanks for the little tutorial for it! I would love to see what a finished quilt would look like...
Happy stitchings! 8-)

Annemiek said...

Hi! Myra sent me to your blog. I made a Xmas quilt last year with those as alternating blocks. I sewed 4 squares in the corners of one big square and flipped them over. This looks much easier! Worth while remembering..thanks!