Saturday, January 5, 2013

One Word for the New Year

After much thought I've picked my one word for the new year.  

Happiness:  A mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

This past year has been a hard one for me and my family.  Without going into great detail, let me just say there were lots of tears and sadness.  Everything I knew...or thought I knew.....a year ago has changed.  The job that I loved was taken away.  The house I loved was sold and we spent 6 months living with my sister.  I don't know what we would have done without Nann.  She opened her home and her heart to us.  I don't think we can ever repay her for all she has done so selflessly to help us this past year.  We lost one of our dogs.  Molly was at my side...and slept under my chair.....while I worked at home for the last 10 years.  I miss her so much.  There have been other things this past year that have really knocked the wind out of me.  I try to be an optimistic person...and so I'm picking myself up and trying to see the good in life again.  We've been in another house for 3 months and have settled in.  It feels like "home."  We were blessed at Christmas time to have family and friends help us out so that we could have presents under the tree.  We cried tears of joy and gratitude and are so very thankful for their kindness.  

I feel that for 2013 I need to find happiness.  Abraham Lincoln said that "People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."  I know that I won't feel happy every day.  Life happens.  But I do know that I can make a conscious decision to look for little things to make me happy.  Some days it will be a hot shower and a warm bed at the end of a long day.  Walking in the rain.  The laughter of my grandkids.  The lazy days spent sewing and watching movies.  I want to find happiness in ordinary everyday activities.  Warm cookies from the oven.  Cold Diet Pepsi and good chocolate.  The laundry all folded and put away.  Watching my kids and grandkids having fun and laughing with each other.  Holding hands with my husband.  Happiness.  

"Be believing, be happy, don't get discouraged.  Things will work out.
--Gordon B. Hinckley

1 comment:

Nann said...

A good word for the year. I know despite all the trials from last year you had moments of happiness. I hope that this year you find more. I love and miss you!