Monday, February 22, 2016

ABC's

 I've been working on these fabric ABC's lately.  I used these instructions and printed off the alphabet she used.  (Note:  I didn't wash the letters to fray the edges.)  The first set I noticed that my granddaughter had a hard time with the I, which looked like a lower case l to her.  I added a line on the top and bottom for the next set, which helped her identify it better.  I think the next time I make them I'll do the same with the J.  

Also the first set I made I used random colors on the backs of the letters, whatever matched the scrap of fabric I used for the front.  I found that she identified the letter easier when all the backs were one color, like the grey used here.  I'm thinking of doing some with denim on the back.  That's a good way to use up scraps of denim I have leftover from cutting up squares of old Levis for a quilt.

 I cut out the printed letter and traced it on my fabric with the Frixion erasable pens.  After layering, sewing, and then cutting out the letters I ironed the pieces to remove the pen markings.  Easy!
 Here's another project.  My friend made these and when I saw them I knew I had to try it.  The instructions are found in the Missouri Star BLOCK magazine (found here).  If you haven't already subscribed to this, I highly recommend it. I've loved every issue.  My mom and sisters get them too.  In fact it seems like every time I stop by my parents to visit mom is doing a new quilt from one of the magazines.  
 They sell the iron on vinyl at Walmart for about $4 a yard.  I think that's a better deal than the vinyl I bought at JoAnns using a coupon.  It's easy to use!  I did my zippers different than the instructions in the magazine.  I didn't sew the fabric on the ends of the zipper. 
 One warning, these bags are addictive.  You'll be buying candy you don't even like for the wrappers!!!

1 comment:

jamie said...

Eden loves hers! We wen't to walmart and she brought her money in it and i tried to buy it because I thought it was a real bag of m&m's :)