Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chocolate Eclair Bars


 I got the butterfly quilt machine quilted and bound.  I think I'll do this pattern again...it was a fun one!
 I have to share this recipe for my newest favorite dessert....Chocolate Eclair Bars.  I got the recipe at Bunco last monthe and tweaked it to make it better.  You bring water and butter to a boil.
 Add the flour until it gets thick.  Then a dozen eggs.
 Spread into two pans and bake.  It will come up on the sides when cooking, so try to get most of the batter towards the middle.  I cut off the edges that stick up after it cooks.
After it has cooled add half of the pudding mixture to one pan.  Add second crust and the rest of the pudding mixture.

 

Then have fun swirling and dribbling the chocolate on top. 

I usally make the crusts and cover them with towels.  Then I make the pudding mixture and put it in the fridge.  When you are ready to serve you can add the pudding to the crusts and then the chocolate topping.  Then it won't get soggy before you eat it.  Here's the recipe.  The original had just 1 eclair crust.  I doubled it and added the second layer.  I like it better this way...takes more like an eclair to me.

Chocolate Eclair Bars
12 Eggs
1-1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cups water
1-1/2 cups flour

Bring water and butter to a boil in a heavy pan.  Remove from heat.  Add flour and stir with spoon until mixture is thick.  Add eggs and beat mixture with hand mixer until smooth.  Spread onto 2 greased 12 x 17 pans (cookie sheets).  Bake at 400 degress for 18 minutres.  Cool completely.

Pudding Filling
Beat together 3 tablespoons milk and 1 package softened cream cheese.

Mix two 3.4 oz packages of vanilla instant pudding and 3 cups milk until pudding thickens.  Add cream cheese mixture and mix well.  Fold in one 16 ounce carton of thawed Cool Whip.

Spread half of pudding mixture onto one crust.  Carefully put 2nd crust on top of pudding mixture.  Add rest of pudding mixture.  Drizzle with Chocolate Magic Shell. Cut into squares to serve. 

1 comment:

Myra said...

Your quilt is awesome Carrie! Love it! 8-)