Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Medicine

Happy Christmas Eve!  It's that special night.  The night for "Christmas Medicine."  This is a family joke at our house.  Years ago I worked with a divorced mom of 6 children.  She was going to school full time and working part time.  I asked her how she got everything done on Christmas Eve all by herself with so many kids.  She told me that she gave them Christmas Medicine every Christmas Eve.  It comes in pretty Christmas colors of red and green just for the kids.  Seriously, she gave them NyQuil so they would go to sleep and she could get things in order for the next morning.  
While we have joked about it for years, I have to admit I've never given it to my kids.  Not that I haven't thought about it for a minute or two.  The threat of Santa not coming until they were asleep seemed to work just fine.  And to be honest...I think I would rather take a dose myself so I could get a good nights rest.  But it tastes so awful.  When I have a bad cold it takes me a good 5 minutes to talk myself into taking it.  I plug my nose and chug it down....then spend the next 5 minutes trying to keep it down. Nasty stuff!!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas tomorrow!

2 comments:

Lavada said...

Merry Christmas to you! We had Jed and Val over for Christmas Eve. Val's brother is skyping from his mission in Chili some time tomorrow. That's cheaper than international rates to call.
Lucy pulled the bead garland off the lower branches and had a blast playing with stryofoam muppet ornament from 1980. It was ball shaped and she thought it was the most wonderful thing.
We gave the girls their gifts but there was one that didn't have a tag and I couldn't remember who it was for. So Pat gently opened one end to see what it was. It was his present! I've really lost it.

Micki said...

Happy Holiday! Nyquil is very effective. It really knocks you ou o you can have a good night's sleep.
Micki