Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Paper Doll Quilt Revisited

 Since I still get e-mails and questions about the Paper Doll Quilt, (and I never posted more info about the template...oops) thought I'd just post a few more hints/directions for making it.  The template was my mom's great idea.  By cutting the corners you can cut out more dolls from your fabric and use the extra dolls that aren't big enough for the template to make cut out paper dolls (more on that tomorrow).  I'll scan the paper pattern for making the template and put it in tomorrow's post.  
 I trace the template on all the dolls that I can get out of a yard or so of fabric.  Then I cut them out with scissors or carefully with a rotary cutter.  Save the dolls that are left for tomorrow.
 I think I get about 15-16 out of a yard of fabric.
 Then cut 4 x 4-1/2 squares from your corner fabric.  Cut diagonally through the squares.
 Place on opposite corners and sew with a 1/4 inch seam.  The short side of triangle should be on top and bottom of doll and the long side on the side (see photo).  Then do the other two corners.  
 Press block with seams away from doll and towards corner piece.  Trim block to 10 x 6 inches.  
 Here's a tip for making your template.  You can buy template plastic at the fabric store or use a plastic binder from the office supply store.  

No comments: